This diagrammatic representation can give a step-by-step solution to a given problem. Flowchart helps in finding the solution of a problem and facilitate in showing the input, process and output of the problem.
Flowcharting is a process of pictorial illustration for solving a problem. Flowcharting is a tool for analyzing processes. Flowcharting can be used in computer systems design, programming, engineering, and science, etc.
Benefits of flowchart:
- It helps in understanding the logic of the problem solving processes.
- It gives the pictorial representation of the processes involved in the problem solution.
- It shows the flow processes in a sequential manner.
Standard Flowchart Symbols
Guidelines for Flowcharting
Following guidelines should be followed while drawing a flowchart:
- Flowchart should be clear, neat and easy to follow.
- Flow of flowchart is either from left to right or from top to bottom.
- Only one flow line should enter and come out of the process symbol.
- Only one flow line should enter a decision symbol, but two flow lines could come out, one for each possible answer, should leave the decision symbol.
- Only one flow line is used in Start / End symbol.
- Avoid the intersection of flow lines to make it more effective.