The Major Difference Between Atomic Orbital And Molecular Orbital is that Atomic Orbital occurs around a single nucleus and electrons within the atomic orbitals do not affect the stability of atoms while Molecular Orbital occurs around a cluster of nuclei and electrons in molecular orbitals affect or reflect the stability of the molecule.
- It consists of a single nucleus.
- The electrons are mono-centric i.e., under the influence of one nucleus.
- Atomic orbitals are represented as s, p, d, and f.
- It consists of more than one nucleus.
- Electrons are polycentric i.e., under the influence of more than one nucleus.
- Molecular orbitals are represented as σ, σ* etc.