The scientists recommend adopting the following Food preservation methods and processing techniques:
- Sterilizing is used for preventing the spoilage of food. Food is sterilized by exposing it to high temperature of 120°C to 126°C under pressure for 12 – 90 minutes. This is one of the best food preservation methods.
- Milk is pasteurized by heating it at 71⁰C for 15 seconds or at 62⁰C for 32 minutes. By their pasteurization process, the bacteria are killed and the taste of milk is not affected.
- Most of the bacteria are killed at very low temperature (10 C to 50 C) for many days. Eggs, milk, vegetables, cheese and meat are preserved by storing them at low temperature.
The food such as meat and vegetables are frozen at -10C to -18C to keep useable for weeks and months.
- Cooked food and other eatables (pickles, candies, and jams) are first heated at high temperature that kills bacteria and then sealed in metallic containers and thus food remains safe from contamination.
- Spoilage of food (such as meat and vegetables) can be prevented by drying process.
- Bacteria can be killed by exposing the food to radiations. In this way food is preserved for a long time, and it becomes a healthy food for nutrition.