But, you can also measure weight , area , time and temperature . Each measurement is part of what the human being needs to know. For example, how many kilos do you need to buy, how much space does it take up, how hot is it, or what time will some work be done?
In astronomy , longitude is measured by the arc of the ecliptic . This includes between the equinoctial point of the constellation Aries and the perpendicular circle.
From human everyday life , length refers to the space we occupy in a place measured by kilometers. But, many times, we appreciate physical things to know how much objects measure. For example, the distance between the hotel and the main square of a city; or, the height of an object
The length is widely used in human daily. Consequently, this is an aspect of mathematics , because it is common to talk about length measurements.
The function of length measurements is to measure how long an object is. That unit of measurement, as it was said at the beginning, is the meter . Other smaller measurements called submultiples come from the meter ; or larger called multiples .
These measures are calculated by the system Metric Decimal . Apart from the length there are also units of capacity and units of mass.
In this section, only the length is of interest . When the measurements are very large by the meter, they are specified in multiples; and, the minors in submultiples. In this sense, units are measured from 10 to 10 for both multiples.
Prefixes are also added (in Latin or Greek) that indicate these units of measurements when they are specified in multiples. For example: deca (ten times); hecto (one hundred times); and, Kilo (thousand times). Then the word meter is added.
To convert meters to each unit of measure, proceed as follows. Examples:
- Decameter . Equivalent to 10 meters. How much is a hectometer equivalent to a decameter? Equivalent to 10 decameters
- Hectometer . Equivalent to 100 meters. How much is a kilometer in hectometer? Equivalent to 19 hectometres
- Kilometer . Equivalent to 1000 meters. How much is a kilometer equal to a decameter? Equivalent to 100 decameters
On the other hand, when the measures are specified in submultiples , the prefix deci- (tenth part) is added; centi – (hundredth part); y, milli – (thousandth part). Examples :
- Decimeter . Equivalent to a tenth (0.1). What is 10 meters to decimeter? Here the operation is to multiply, because it goes from a larger measure (meter) to a smaller one (decimeter). So 10m x 10dm = 100dm
- Centimeter . Equivalent to one hundredth part (0.01), what is 10 centimeters equal to one meter? Here the operation is to divide because a smaller measure (centimeter) is converted to a larger measure (meter). Then 0.10 ÷ 1 = 0.1m
- Mm . Equivalent to one thousandth of a part (0.001). What is 10 meters equal to 10 millimeters? Multiply 10 x 1000.0 = 10000.0 mm.
There are other length measurements, including:
- Astronomical unit . Measure the mean Earth-Sun distance.
- Lightyears or year – light . It measures the distance traveled by light in a solar year.
- The parsec . Measure the distance of a star from where it is seen according to the apparent position depending on the point where that star is observed.
- Micron or micrometer . It is equivalent to one millionth of a meter.
- Nanometer . Measures ultraviolet radiation, light, and infrared radiation .
- Angstrom . Measure atomic, molecular and wave distances. It is equivalent to ten billionth parts of a meter.
- Arcade . Measure distance based on the length of a single step when walking.
- Yard . There are three feet p 36 inches in a yard.
- Inch . It is equal to 2.54 centimeters. Equivalent to 12 inches in one foot.
- Foot . Equivalent to 30 centimeters.
- Codo . An ancient unit that is equal to the distance between the elbow and the wrist.
- Acre . It is an agrarian measure of surface that is equivalent to 4 046 meters.